I have a Lenovo E580 laptop (bought in Jan 2019) that suddenly became slow. It’s affecting build times in Visual Studio and loading times for a local website on IIS. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, but it didn’t improve the performance.
- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- CPU: i7-8550U 2.00GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 SSD
The slowness is noticeable in these software:
- Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.3.9
- IIS on Windows 10
I compared the laptop to an older one with similar specs (i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD) and similar software. The new laptop takes 78 secs to load a local website, while the old one takes only 30 secs. Previously, the new laptop loaded the website in 30 secs as well.
The issue is affecting the entire laptop, not just Visual Studio and IIS. Despite formatting and reinstalling Windows, the problem persists. I suspect a hardware issue, but there are no error messages and everything appears fine.
Do you have suggestions for troubleshooting this issue or should I contact Lenovo support (since the laptop is still under warranty)?
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check for Windows updates and drivers update for your Lenovo laptop
- Disable unnecessary startup programs and services
- Run a virus scan
- Check the task manager for resource-intensive processes
- Disable visual effects in Windows 10
- Uninstall any recently installed software that may be causing the issue
- Check for hard drive space and fragmentation levels
- Consider using a different browser, or a clean installation of your current browser
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be a hardware issue and you should contact Lenovo support for further assistance. Your laptop is still under warranty, so it’s a good idea to seek support from Lenovo.
I had been facing some performance issues with my Lenovo laptop lately. But today, I updated the BIOS & firmware through Lenovo Vantage and it made all the difference. My laptop’s CPU now operates smoothly and the Visual Studio (VS) compilation process is lightning fast again. I’m glad I was able to resolve the problem with this simple solution.