During the lifespan of my desktop computer, I encountered two consecutive bluescreens while playing video games. I managed to prevent further crashes by rewiring the hardware, but Windows updates that affected the system, such as the annual upgrade from version 1803 to 1903 and a random update of the .NET framework to version 4.8 for the 1803 version of Windows, continued to fail to install. As these updates were not mandatory, I ignored them, as regular security updates to Windows Defender continued to work. Eventually, I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which identified errors that could be fixed with a restart.

Later, I decided to tackle the update issues. The error codes were 0x8000ffff for the .NET update and 0x800700C12 for the Windows upgrade. I searched online for solutions but encountered a lot of unreliable information. I attempted to manually upgrade to version 1903 using the MediaCreationTool, but it failed with a “critical error,” and there were no helpful logs available. I tried using the PowerShell command “GetWindowsUpdateLog” to access the Windows Update Log but found it challenging to interpret the information.

I then attempted to manually install the .NET 4.8 Framework, but it also failed, and the installation files were dumped in a random location on my 2TB storage HDD instead of the SSD where the system was installed. After investigating, I discovered that a command-line program, “wusa.exe,” failed during the final steps of installation, resulting in the 0x8000ffff error code. This error message is a common issue during installation.

After researching ways to fix the Windows update problems, I came across advice suggesting that I try:

sfc /scannow


dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

I tried using sfc, but it failed and suggested that I restart my PC because there were still pending changes to the system. However, restarting the computer every day for the past six months did not resolve the issue. Then I tried using dism.exe, which failed at around 82.6%. The logs generated were not helpful, and the error occurred during the finalization step.

While searching for a solution to make sfc work, I stumbled upon a forum post suggesting that I delete the pending.xml file located in the WinSxS directory. When I checked the directory, I found the file to be nearly 300MB in size, which seemed abnormal. Unfortunately, I couldn’t delete the file even as an administrator, and attempting to access it as the SYSTEM user via PSTools also failed. There were no processes holding onto the file.

I’m unsure how to fix this issue, and I don’t know if these errors are related to each other.

Askify Moderator Edited question May 2, 2023